default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard

Health Department: Vendors need licenses

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:00 am

The North Dakota Department of Health and the Upper Missouri District Health Unit in Williston are informing all mobile food vendors that they must be licensed before doing business in North Dakota.

All food establishments, including mobile food vendors, must be licensed by either the local health unit or by the state Department of Health before operating in the state of North Dakota or in oil-producing counties.

“We have had several cases recently where mobile food units have come into the state and set up in the oil country without a license. If the facility is not licensed, we have no way of ensuring the food they are serving is safe,” Kenan Bullinger, director of the Division of Food and Lodging for the ND Department of Health, said.

Daphne Clark with the Upper Missouri District Health Unit encouraged residents to by asking vendors if they’re licensed before buying food.

“If the facility is not licensed, do not eat there and let us know about the facility,” Clark said.

In July, the Williston City Commission discussed the issue of operating mobile food vendors in the city limits.

After the matter was sent to a committee, the city voted on July 26 to:

–Have policy drafted through the city ordinance drafting process and Planning and Zoning.

–Not allow tents with outdoor seating in city limits and to have them removed immediately.

–Allow only vendors currently in operation to continue until a new ordinance was drafted.

–Ensure that parking must be off-street for mobile vendors and food must be carry-out only.

© 2015 Williston Herald. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.